Tomorrow is the biggest shopping day of the year for the majority of the country. Personally, I have already started my shopping and have very little remaining. I have never participated in Black Friday. Ok, there was this one time….. but I waited in my car until the line was gone, walked straight into the store, chose out my 10 zippers and new scissors, paid, and went home to get back in bed.
For those of you that do spend your day finding deals – I challenge and encourage you to do it differently this year. Spend your money locally. We have all seen the studies that spending money at local retailers not only circulates more money in our local economies, but also creates jobs. These two benefits are reason enough to shop locally. On top of this, local retailers also provide better customer service and your gifts will have a unique touch that Target/Walmart/Best Buy will never measure up to.
Where should you shop, you may ask….. well, let me give you some recommendations of my favorites!!!
Capitol Hill – http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/ has coordinated a ‘Shop The Hill’ campaign with over 75 businesses participating. Of note, I would suggest that you shop SPUN. Not only will you find Bri Seeley at a 20% discount (which is a good reason in and of itself!), they’re also offering to add an extra $20 to all gift card purchases of $100. Shop SPUN.
Olympia – Here are four local stores that I have already frequented to purchase gifts for friends this week:
1. Gary’s Garden Gate – 1900 93rd Avenue Southwest Tumwater, WA 98512 – They have the BEST gift shop! And their prices are SO reasonable! I bought five cast iron pieces yesterday for under $80. They just got in a shipment of Mermaid themed cast iron pieces – To. Die. For.
2. Compass Rose – 416 Capitol Way S Olympia, WA 98501 – I love their coffee koozie’s. They are perfect for stocking stuffers. Ask my family – they each got one for Christmas 2009!!! They also have art, jewelry, kitchen utensils, paper products, etc.
3. Radiance – 113 5th Avenue Southeast Olympia, WA 98501 – Great selection of books, calendars, candles, stones, etc.
4. Bon Lemon – 2938 Limited Lane Ste C1 Olympia WA 98502 – How can you not want to shop somewhere whose motto is “When life gives you lemons, put on something sparkly!” Amy is offering several specials this weekend. On Friday – purchase $100 in gift cards and get a $30 gift card free OR purchase $200 in gift cards and get a $70 gift card free OR purchase $500 in gift cards and get a $200 gift card free. On Small Business Saturday – Buy a pair of earrings and get a pair 50% off, 30% off all handbags, and free gift with purchase. Oh – and we can’t forget that you’ll also find Bri Seeley at a 20% discount for the weekend!!! For those of you that don’t live near Olympia….. you can shop online!!! Find Bon Lemon at www.bonlemon.com
5. For all of us foodies out there, I also fully endorse G.F. Joe’s (5739 Littlerock Rd SW # 103 Tumwater, WA 98512), Great Harvest Bakery (1530 Black Lake Boulevard Southwest Olympia, Washington 98502), Batdorf and Bronson (516 Capitol Way South Olympia, WA 98501), and Adesso (109 Legion Way Southwest Olympia, Washington 98501)
For those of you in my hometown – don’t forget to find all of your chocolate and holiday gift needs at the Cocoa Bean (515 Division Street South Northfield, MN 55057-2021). And say ‘Hi’ to my mama while you’re there :-)
And remember – you can always find Bri Seeley online at http://www.briseeley.com/products-page/fall-2011/
Happy shopping to everyone!